K40 Laser Engraver
Safety[edit | edit source]
Location[edit | edit source]
We have (2) K40 Laser Engraver(s) located in the Rec Room.
Specs[edit | edit source]
Power: 40 watt CO2 laser Dimensions: 12"x7.75" max
How To Use[edit | edit source]
Note: There are two Microsoft Surfaces Tablets located in the space. Both of these have the required software to run the laser cutters. Alternatively if you have a laptop available, you can install the software needed to run the laser cutter.
Software: K40 Whisperer (Windows users, you will need to install the libUSB-win32 driver provided in the installer)
- Turn on the air filter (Best to use the On/Off switch but can use variable setting)
- Connect to the laser cutter via USB (Longer USB cable)
- Connect to the internal camera of the laser cutter (Shorter USB cable)
- Power on the laser cutter, labeled "Switch Machine" (Make sure the E-Stop is up)
- Turn on the power switch located at the bottom of the laser cutter, this enables power to the laser but does not activate it
- Adjust the power settings to your needs (See the Laser Cutting Material section). Increments are 10, 1, 0.1 (power level increases/decreases by that amount)
- Open the K40 Whisperer software and click "Initialize Laser Cutter" and click "Home"
- Adjust the Z-Height so that the material you are trying to print with is in the proper focal point for the laser to cut
- Place the material you plan to cut with in the laser cutter (Warning: it is highly recommended to run a test cut first with excess material)
- Click on File > Open Design and load in your design file
- Close the laser cutter lid and press "Start" in the K40 Whisper control panel